According to givingtuesday.org, Giving Tuesday was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day when people are encouraged to do good. Over the past eight years, it has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate and celebrate generosity.
This year, more than ever, Giving Tuesday is important to the Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island because it can help support our community in this crazy, tumultuous time.
Here are seven reasons why you should participate in Giving Tuesday, on Dec. 1, and consider donating to the Alliance.
1. Giving Tuesday is a global movement. Giving Tuesday started in the United States but is now a worldwide movement. Last year, people in 145 countries participated.
2. Donations to the Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island are doubled on Giving Tuesday. This year, we have a donor offering a dollar-for-dollar match, up to $5,000, on the gifts that come in for Giving Tuesday, so your gift will go twice as far in helping the community. For example, if you give a $25 donation, it will double to $50.
3. You can pledge to give monthly. If you give $18 for the month, that breaks down to $4.50 a week. Most people spend that much on a cup of coffee at their local coffee shop. If you give up buying one cup of coffee a week, and give that money to the Alliance instead, you will be donating $216 for the year. It is easy to set up a monthly gift on your credit or debit card and it helps us to know that we can count on your gift each month.
4. It’s an easy way to give back to your community. The Jewish Alliance allocates money to many different organizations in the Rhode Island Jewish community and around the world. It is so important to give back to the community that you love and are a part of. This is a great way to do so.
5. You can convince other people to give. By talking about charitable giving with friends, family or on social media, you can help persuade those listening and reading to make their own contributions. Giving Tuesday can be a chance to help start a chain reaction and make the community better.
6. This year in particular is important. Like most nonprofits, organizations in the Jewish community have been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic. Although we had a successful Emergency Relief Campaign, we need to keep going as there is still a pandemic going on. Your Giving Tuesday gift will go twice as far and can help thousands of people.
7. You can make a difference. Just one gift can help tens of thousands of people in Rhode Island, Israel and around the world. We need your support to help maintain our strong and vibrant community.
ABI WEINER (email@example.com) is the development officer at the Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island.