Over the course of three decades, I have interviewed more than 3,000 authors, experts and celebrities who focus on positive living. Here are some tips based on what I’ve learned:
• Have a strong vision. Identify your passion, which will lead to your purpose. Do what brings you meaning and joy as often as you can. Look beyond the surface of the job or business to what you gain, like peace, recognition, security, acceptance, connection, etc.
• Choose supportive friends. Have a network of positive and active people to enhance your life and help keep you healthy. These are the people you know you can count on in both good and hard times.
• Seek joy daily. Find new things you enjoy or try a variation of what you know, like traveling, playing a sport or volunteering. The summer, in particular, offers so many options, including golf, boating, kayaking, swimming, biking, hiking and nature walks.
• Be proactive about your mental, physical and spiritual health. Keep moving your body; find the right exercises and activities for you; eat whole, unprocessed foods; get enough sleep and keep a positive attitude. At aish.com, in the article “Judaism and Healthy Eating,” Rebbetzin Feige Twerski writes, “In describing its healthful approach to life, the Torah says, ‘Only beware (take care) of yourself and greatly beware of your soul’ (Deut. 4:9). The Jewish position does not negate or marginalize the importance of attending to the needs of our bodies. On the contrary, Judaism views the body and soul as inextricably linked partners, interdependent in a joint effort to successfully negotiate life’s journey.”
• Keep learning and growing. Protect your mental and physical health by keeping your brain active and learning something new.
I found a great article at Chabad.org, by Chana Weisberg, called “What’s Your Favorite Season?” She compares Rachel’s life to the summer, based on the mystics’ descriptions of the Matriarchs. Weisberg writes, “I like to compare Rachel’s life to the exhilarating season of the summer. Her life and deeds were ‘beautiful and shapely’ both inside and outside. Her sunny, charismatic personality was adored by Jacob and by whomever she met.”
PATRICIA RASKIN, president of Raskin Resources Productions Inc., is an award-winning radio producer and Rhode Island business owner. She is the host of “The Patricia Raskin” show, a radio and podcast coach, and a board member of Temple Emanu-El, in Providence.